Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Cochlear Implant finished

As promised, I'll explain my Body Modification series today. I started with the Prothese painting as a parody advertisement for Art Nouveau mechanical limbs. To push the idea further, I'm working with body modifications that are both real and imagined. I may extend the idea into art deco style posters but I've been having a lot of fun working with Art Nouveau so I think I'm going to continue this series in this way for a while longer. This is the second in the Body Modification series. For this one, I wanted to juxtapose a cochlear implant with other forms of body modification, such as gauges, tattoos, unnatural haircolor, and assorted piercings. Mucha worked a lot with circular motives so I worked on a circular canvas (made from an 18" repurposed embroidery hoop) and threw some steampunky gears in for the background. Her hair is also very indicative of the Art Nouveau aesthetic.
I didn't want to scream it at the viewer but I want to see what people think of having a controversial "bionic ear" (seriously, google "cochlear implant", they're wicked cool and very real) with socially questionable alterations to one's body. Please let me know what you think.

3 comments:

  1. I think this piece is incredible. My partner is deaf and tattooed and pierced and when I saw this it just made me smile!!! Thank you for creating such an inspiring piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! she reminds of me...I have a cochlear implant as well as piercings and tattoos!
    you can see it peeking on my right ear, the hook.

    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/429314_3889840886224_761402515_n.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love this. What beautiful art work showing cochlear implants. Keep up the great work

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...